Epilepsy Foundation

I have found a healthy diet to be very beneficial. I started eating healthier to control my seizures. It worked and I lost weight too. I also discovered several food allergies and when I stopped consuming them, my seizures diminished. Now that I have been without the allergens for about 2 1/2 years, I am getting over the allergies. That may be the cure. Go on an elimination diet and find out what you are allergic to. I went from seizures to migraines to headaches and a rash.

What are your eating habits?
Do you have allergies that may be causing your seizures?
Do you have ideas about what may be triggering your seizures?

Tags: allergies, diet, exercise, headaches, migraines, rash, seizures, triggers

Views: 1299

Replies to This Discussion

I have several triggers.
Hyperventilation - shows up as irregularity on EEG
Too Hot - if I am doing work (eg mowing outside), no problem. But if I am at work (computer programmer) and it is too hot...problem.
Lack of Sleep - has resulted in ER trips.

Some people may be 'set off' by allergies. In my case, I have no known allergies. The best thing I can do, oddly enough, is exercise. For me, my meds work the best when I am in the habit of exercising regularly. When I rode my bicycle to University (about 4 miles), I had the best control. Hyperventilation isnt a problem then. Go figure.
I am so curious about this. My daughter is 7 yr old and has been seizure free for 2.5 yrs. We are starting the weaning process from Lamictal. I have yet to hear anything about allergies and E. I have found some research but no one on the message boards are talking about it.

My DD has a Neurological allergy to honey which makes her agressive, and extreamly impulsive. When she had a VEEG, we were able to video on of her regular night time screaming fits. Her Ped. Neuro confirmed that she was clearly in pain but no seizure. After I took her off of her diary she lost lots of weight. To make things even better, she stopped having seizures.

She also eats very naturally and whole foods. She is a big fruit and vegie eater almost a vegan. She is so dang healthy. I really wonder what studies are other there which links allergies to E and nutrition to E. I know of the LGIT, Keto and MAD, but what about other food items? Your post is so intriguing.

thanks,

mg
I am allergic to soy, so I am not able to eat a vegan diet.I am also allergic to peanuts, msg, lecithin, gluten, some preservatives and artificial colors.
I thought I was getting over some of my allergies, but have recently had a seizure and am not sure of it's cause. It may be a new allergy or it could be that I ate a known allergiy, contents of which I was unaware. I had been doing so much better. Do an elimination diet. Avoid eating anything you suspect may be an allergen. After a few weeks, bring back one item for one or two weeks. If you have no reaction, you may continue to eat it and bring back another item. If you have a seizure or feel that you may be experiencing an allergic reaction of some kind, write it on a list of foods to avoid. I used to have a larger list than I do now. Eventually, some foods no longer cause reactions.
I forgot to add that I am also allergic to barbituates, like phenobarbitol.

Rebecca Veasman said:
I am allergic to soy, so I am not able to eat a vegan diet.I am also allergic to peanuts, msg, lecithin, gluten, some preservatives and artificial colors.
I thought I was getting over some of my allergies, but have recently had a seizure and am not sure of it's cause. It may be a new allergy or it could be that I ate a known allergiy, contents of which I was unaware. I had been doing so much better. Do an elimination diet. Avoid eating anything you suspect may be an allergen. After a few weeks, bring back one item for one or two weeks. If you have no reaction, you may continue to eat it and bring back another item. If you have a seizure or feel that you may be experiencing an allergic reaction of some kind, write it on a list of foods to avoid. I used to have a larger list than I do now. Eventually, some foods no longer cause reactions.
Hi Name is Deanna. What my eating habits is what I can afford. Don't have any allergies that might be causing my seizure. For me it triggers like Stresss or heat. I've been lucky I guess. I haven't had alot of seizure, but when I do they are really bad one. I have migraines and they are duzzy. Back to good eating habit, where do you start, other then the store. What do you buy for dinners, breakfast and snack when you don't have alot of money? Thank you Deanna
Deanna,
Good eating habits are a balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, dairy, fiber, and grains. Not so much meat, but some. You need meat for it's B vitamins. Investigate a pH balanced diet. I cannot afford much either, but email me and I will send you more details. I am doing better since I started a diet. At first it was just to help me be healthier, but I lost weight. I have been able to maintain the weight fairly easily. It is mostly a good sense diet that is paired up with pH balance. My head is clearer and I take less medicine than I did when I started it. I am sure you have your favorite foods. They can be worked into the diet. beckysv7@msn.com or rbveasman is my AIM
I am a 37 year old woman and I have had seizures all my life. I have been to many doctors, taken many tests, and been prescribed different medications to no prevale. It was not until 2 years ago that I was able to control my epilepsy. One day 2 years ago I went out to eat at the 99"s restaurant. As I was leaving the restaurant I started to get the symptoms that would let me know that I was going to have a seizure. The symptoms I would experience was strong stomach cramps, followed by dizzyness, and then my body would start to convulse. I would be totally aware the entire time but would not be able to speak. I ended up having 2 seizures that day. I had just finished reading The weight Loss Cure by Kevin Trudeau, and came to the conclusion that it must be my diet that is causing my epilepsy. I did a natural body cleanse, started to eat organic and whole foods, and drinking one-half to one gallon of water. When I integrated my new diet to my exercise program, I no longer experienced seizures. For 2 years I did not have a seizure, then one day I made the mistake of having fried dough and pizza at the beach. The next day I had one of the scariest seizure I have had in a long time. I now am even more convinced that it is crucial for me to eat organic/whole foods in order for me to stay seizure free.
My husband gets on me about only organic dairy products. I don't want to eat what's in the other stuff. I prefer organic. I am convinced I do much better when I eat organic. So, I understand what you mean. I had the same diet book by Kevin Trudeau and gave it away. I have a better diet now and I get 30 minutes of aerobic exercise three times a week. Regular exercise and a decent diet are important for our health.
Rebecca Veasman said:
I used to have a larger list than I do now. Eventually, some foods no longer cause reactions.

That may have to do with the gluten. Gluten allergies can cause damage to the villi in the small intestines, which makes it difficult for your body to process other foods. As the villi repair themselves, you will find that other foods are easier to digest.

The link between celiac disease and/or gluten intolerance and epilepsy has been known for a long time, but not many ppl know about it, including doctors. Fortunately, the knowledge is becoming more accessible.

As for going on a elimination diet; talk to your doctor first. Let them know that finding possible food allergies is an option you would like to explore. It may be that they blow you off, as my doctor did, but you should always start with your doctor first, esp. if you are on medications.
What would a good diet for my ten year old son he has absent seizures which is now turning into something else and he has had horrible reactions to meds so he is not on anything as of two days ago. I am so cinfused what to do next and the doctors are horrible i had to go thru 6 of them just to get them to believe me that he was having seizures I know his diet is not the best because of all the hours i was working which i cut down now Does anyone know what i should do ??????
First, you need to see if he is allergic to anything. Are there any foods that you suspect may cause the seizures? Keep a food diary of everything he eats and drinks. Also note what over the counter (OTC) drugs he takes. When he has a seizure, check the diary for the past 24 hours. Take note of the foods and drugs that seem to have been in his diet that are in common with all the times he has a seizure. Make a list of all these items. After a month of consuming none of the items on the list, add one. If within a week he has no reaction, such as seizure, confusion, headaches, slurred speach, itchy rash, or twitching muscles. Keep a list of those things that cause reactions. Add another item to his diet and do the same. When you are throug going through the original list you will find that he is eating a healthier diet than most people. If he is overweight now, he will lose weight. When he has finished the elimination diet get in touch with me again and I will tell you what else I did. It may be too much to change everything all at once, but a gradual change may not be noticed. Be sure to keep track of any preservatives, artificial colors and flavors, and other additives. Many people are allergic to MSG, yellow 5, and sulfer dioxide. I am also allergic to caffeine, chocolate, soy, lecithin, wheat gluten, and peanuts.
The top allergens are: milk and dairy products, shellfish and sea food, soy, peanuts and treenuts, msg, and yeast. You may want to keep particular notice of them. Allergens can be a trigger, but not nescessarily just consumed foods. I cannot use a lotion that contains soy without breaking out in a rash.
Hi, Im Bethany. I follow what my dr. calls the cancer diet. Avoiding artificial sweeteners and processed foods. I also avoid caffeine. My seizures are not triggered by food allergies but eating the way i do helps me stay well and have more energy. My triggers are lack of sleep, stress and loud noises, like having my daughters radio cranked up and my husbands t.v. screaming at the same time. I do not do well in situations where there is more than one conversation going at a time. I have had seizures on mothers day, Easter and family reunions. I am learning to quietly remove myself in order to avoid a seizure. It isnt that easy. People dont understand. I was at my moms house and ended up sitting on the bathroom floor. I dont know if others have trouble with noise levels but i do. I am still searching for a solution regarding my trouble sleeping, this is a huge trigger and my dr. has yet to take it seriously. I meditate and practice yoga as well.Is there anything i can take at night so i can sleep?

RSS

Terms of Service Update 6/4/2012

We have updated our Terms of Service for eCommunities Groups.

Events

July 2014
SMTWTFS

© 2014   Created by EF Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service