Epilepsy Foundation

Can anyone tell me how long it takes for their child to recover after a seizure and what kind of seizures they have? My daughter seems to take anywhere from a few hours to a few days and she doesn't even have convulsions with her seizures she just seems become unconscious and unresponsive.

Views: 253

Replies to This Discussion

My daughter's dx is complex partial epilepsy into generalized seizures.  With her's it depends on the type of the seizure and what's going on.  Her's can be any where's from about a 1/2hr to about an hr or so.  But like I said it just depends on what's going on and happening with hers.  I have never or maybe don't know what to look for if it goes into the next day or so.  Good luck.  Hope that this helps a little.  

Nicole

We're still in the middle of diagnosing our son, but it seems that he has absence and complex partials. When he has seizures that appear to be complex partial, or back to back absence type seizures, his postictal can last from a few minutes to about a day and it seems to be correlated to the length of the seizure. Wishing you luck!

Tammieka, as the other responding posts stated, it also depends on what is going on/circumstances as to the length of recovery after a seizure. There is no rule or standard regarding times, types or recoveries where epilepsy is concerned, at least for us.

Let me tell you as a mother and as a person who has epilepsy.

Have you ever been so sick, I mean vomited, your guts out, time after time? Then, you go back to bed or lay on the couch, you feel so much better, but you are weak from throwing up. Your muscles are soar, your head feels light, but heavy at the same time. You feel good, but then again not really, just kind of blah. It takes you a few days to recover your strength to where you feel like you are back to your normal self again.

Even though she may not have a convulsion, it still plays apart with her mind and straightening her thoughts and getting reorganized. Be patient. Each person is different to, some may recover more quickly than others. Put a smile on and give one to your daughter! 

My daughter 7, also has complex partials, absence, has had drop, they are ever changing.  She can take anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour, sometimes it has taken a whole afternoon to recover, depending on the strength and how long the seizures or clusters last.   

Thank you guys for your responses, it really does help give me prospective. ;)

Hi Kari Lynne, thank you for your detailed respose, it really helps especially since you are speaking from first hand experience. It really helps to understand what she is going through. Thank you

Kari Lynne Brauer said:

Let me tell you as a mother and as a person who has epilepsy.

Have you ever been so sick, I mean vomited, your guts out, time after time? Then, you go back to bed or lay on the couch, you feel so much better, but you are weak from throwing up. Your muscles are soar, your head feels light, but heavy at the same time. You feel good, but then again not really, just kind of blah. It takes you a few days to recover your strength to where you feel like you are back to your normal self again.

Even though she may not have a convulsion, it still plays apart with her mind and straightening her thoughts and getting reorganized. Be patient. Each person is different to, some may recover more quickly than others. Put a smile on and give one to your daughter! 

Kari Lynne---yes thank you for writing from first hand experience.  I'm lucky that my 7 year old is very good at explaining his feelings when he has simple partial seizures, but has no idea how to explain how he feels after he has his huge complex partial into generalized seizure(s).  All I know is that he is super moody and doesn't want to be touched for a little while.  Sometimes he just will sit and stare and be super quiet (sometimes he is aware that his speech is going to come out all wrong and when he tries to speak and it isn't 'good' he just stops). He has been having at least one biggie a day lately, sleeping for 2 hours after, so I'm not sure about the true recovery time. Is it happening while he's asleep and not as good if he doesn't get that sleep, yes with the biggies, not as much with the shorter seizures. He's been having 5-7 minute big seizures. So knowing that he is always moody before and after makes for one exhausted kiddo...and mama for that matter---always wondering if it is post or pre seizure feelings or just a kiddo frustrated with growing up (with E). ;)

Addison is usually postictal following her CP for 1-2 hours where she is out and well only moan when I try to wake her. Sometimes she perks right up after she wakes up other times it takes her a few days not to be so tired and grouchy. It is a lot of exhaustive work in their little brains. Addison may also vomit prior to , during, or even several hours after the seizures. Kind of like her brain is on a spinning teacup or something. She is only five and cannot remember the hour before or couple hours after having one.

My son is 3 and has gran mal seizures, his recovery time has been from 5 seconds to 3 hours.  Depending on how intense the seizure that seems to be the indicator of recovery time.  The few days things seems normal too.  He had two gran mals a few days ago and he seemed lethargic until the next morning. Let her body rest is what we have been doing.  I am not a fan of tv watching, but that seems to be what comforts my child the most.  Me holding him and cartoons on. Stay hopeful!

Jessica Olguin

RSS

Terms of Service Update 6/4/2012

We have updated our Terms of Service for eCommunities Groups.

Events

August 2014
SMTWTFS

© 2014   Created by EF Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service