Epilepsy Foundation

My daughters teacher has asked me to write a request for a 504 plan. I have no idea where to start! Anyone out there have any guidance? Any input is appreciated! Thank you!!!

Views: 249

Replies to This Discussion

I would really look into it...I'm hoping that this site will help and you can get to it....it's 

http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ocr/504faq.html

Other wise you can go to Ed.gov and then hit the parents section then scroll down to the Special education part and it has on there about the 504 plan and other things that you can check out and all.  

Nicole

My sons teacher just talked to me about this on Friday. The school for me is setting everything up. On Tuesday he had his ot eval and had a seizure and got hurt and the poor ot person was beside herself. So far we haven't had to do anything as of yet. I can keep u posted thru the process though.

be aware that an IEP includes a 504 but a 504 does not include an IEP - if an IEP is needed later you will have to start over...

Ericsmom makes a great point.  A 504 is more about access and is not as strict as an IEP.  If your daughter's seizures have any impact on learning, then the IEP would be better.  Here is a link to a very good EF source about the rights of students who have epilepsy: http://www.epilepsyfoundation.org/resources/epilepsy/upload/Educati...

Thank you!

My son has a 504. That got him a 1:1 para, 1:1 nurse (he has daily seizures so the principal wanted him to have the nurse whenever he's at school or on a field trip, in addition to the para), extended testing time, excused absences for doctors appointments/hospitalizations/medical treatments... that's all I can think of. We are now working on his IEP which will provide him with time with special ed teacher, OT, speech therapy and everything included on 504. This was the first school year doing this so I am still trying to figure things out. Hope that helped.

Hi Stephanie,

It's all rather new to us as well.  As others have said the 504 is usually something similar to a guideline they look at.  Although with the 504 there are no mandatory testings done and it's definitely not as detailed nor does it hold the school responsible to the degree that the IEP does.  My son is in kindergarten and we have our 1st meeting to start the IEP process with the school psych. and his teacher on friday.  SO I guess I will learn more.  I went to see his pediatrician (without Cameron) to discuss it prior to letting the school know that I was pursuing the IEP, and got a letter from his MD stating he recc. it based on his epilepsy.  In MN where I live the medical diagnoses listed directly on the IEP do not include Epilepsy.  BUT under the sublet Other Health condition it does and therefore kids with epilepsy qualify.   Don't know if that helps.  Cameron is rather high functioning, suffers from extreme fatigue related to his meds. and has freq. absense seizures still.  At school it's very hard for others who don't know him to understand.  But we are all doing are best.  :)  Good Luck.

Stephanie

I came across this sample 504 plan a couple years ago.  Look it over - get rid of stuff that doesn't apply to your daughter.

The one thing that seems to be missing is 'repetition of key instruction.'  My daughter has absence seizures - it's important to put 'repetition' needs in writing.  EVERY year, I go through the same discussions with the new teacher.  I think no matter what the 504 plan says, it is important to do education every year - preferably from an Epilepsy educator.  For some reason, when I tell the teacher that my daughter has absence seizures - it may seem like she's 'not listening' and that she will need instructions repeated - this seems to register for about one day.  When the Epilepsy educator tells them - then, they seem to get it/believe it.

Good luck

Attachments:

We too,have an IEP with a 504 in place.  It requires extra time for tests, legal abscenses if due to his epilepsy,modified work, use of certain equipment if needed in school, removal prior to fire drills, a one on one aide, nurse on field trips etc, any extra support.

It is reviewed yearly for changes, but is a great thing to have in place!

I feel like Im about to have the same problem.  This is all new to me but we recently had an IST meeting for my son for his ADHD just the day before his EEG and I mentioned that he may be having seizures and is going to be tested for it.  Teacher said he doesn't seem to be unlike any other kid who needs to have their named called several times before getting them to respond or acknowledge that their name was called.  I silently kept it to myself at that point because we didnt have confirmation but as a mom I knew what was going on with my son.  Now I need others to recognize the issue and work with him. 

Jennifer said:

Stephanie

I came across this sample 504 plan a couple years ago.  Look it over - get rid of stuff that doesn't apply to your daughter.

The one thing that seems to be missing is 'repetition of key instruction.'  My daughter has absence seizures - it's important to put 'repetition' needs in writing.  EVERY year, I go through the same discussions with the new teacher.  I think no matter what the 504 plan says, it is important to do education every year - preferably from an Epilepsy educator.  For some reason, when I tell the teacher that my daughter has absence seizures - it may seem like she's 'not listening' and that she will need instructions repeated - this seems to register for about one day.  When the Epilepsy educator tells them - then, they seem to get it/believe it.

Good luck

RSS

Terms of Service Update 6/4/2012

We have updated our Terms of Service for eCommunities Groups.

Events

October 2014
SMTWTFS

© 2014   Created by EF Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service