Epilepsy Foundation

Anyone have any input on their experience with parietal lobe surgery from epilepsy. I would love to know all the good and bad:)

Views: 460

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I did not have that area removed, but had grids put in that area too.  It was thought that maybe the seizures were flashing from one area of the brain to another and had to put them there to check it.  Every area that I know was removed is all around that area.  I had the inferior gyri, medial and lateral occipitotemporal gyri, superior temporal gyrus, amygdala and right hippocampus removed.  This was wayyyy more than I thought was being removed when I went into surgery.  I was originally told that I would only have a little of the hippocampus and the seizure scarring removed.  It wasn't until they opened it up and could see so much damage.  They knew before going in that there was something wrong.  They could see from the MRI that an area of the brain on the MRI was all discolored.  I thought that periferal(sp?) vision is affected with having some of the Parietal lobe area removed.  The medical report doesn't say I had that area removed, but I do have periferal vision that I lost.  I can only guess that another area also control it. ????  Laura

Man!!! They sure did remove a lot! They definitely know from my MRI that I have plenty of damage but who knows how bad it really is until they open it up!

Lrjg said:

I did not have that area removed, but had grids put in that area too.  It was thought that maybe the seizures were flashing from one area of the brain to another and had to put them there to check it.  Every area that I know was removed is all around that area.  I had the inferior gyri, medial and lateral occipitotemporal gyri, superior temporal gyrus, amygdala and right hippocampus removed.  This was wayyyy more than I thought was being removed when I went into surgery.  I was originally told that I would only have a little of the hippocampus and the seizure scarring removed.  It wasn't until they opened it up and could see so much damage.  They knew before going in that there was something wrong.  They could see from the MRI that an area of the brain on the MRI was all discolored.  I thought that periferal(sp?) vision is affected with having some of the Parietal lobe area removed.  The medical report doesn't say I had that area removed, but I do have periferal vision that I lost.  I can only guess what of the other areas I had removed must also control it. ????  Laura

You have probably mentioned this before, but do you have a date set for surgery?

The team said they will call me around wednesday of this up coming week to set a date for the WADA and do the surgery based on those results.

Lrjg said:

You have probably mentioned this before, but do you have a date set for surgery?

Do you fear that WADA?  I remember being afraid to have it done. Then, I found out that I didn't have to have it done.  I asked how they could do the surgery without having the WADA and I was told that they know what side of the brain controls everything from the extensive Neuro. Phych. testing.  I thought that was strange, but they must of been right!:)

I had that psych test done and I am gonna have some special MRI done to avoid the WADA. I'm not afraid of having it done, my mom is though. I think if it will be extra help then yeah they should do it. 

Lrjg said:

Do you fear that WADA?  I remember being afraid to have it done. Then, I found out that I didn't have to have it done.  I asked how they could do the surgery without having the WADA and I was told that they know what side of the brain controls everything from the extensive Neuro. Phych. testing.  I thought that was strange, but they must of been right!:)

Have you had the PET done yet?  I don't know how the MRI makes it possible to avoid the WADA???

I've had a PET done in the past, it's called a functional MRI it's scheduled for this up coming Tuesday!

Lrjg said:

Have you had the PET done yet?  I don't know how the MRI makes it possible to avoid the WADA???

I had never heard of it as an MRI. It is interesting information given. It is heat sensitive picture. The area of the brain that is having seizures will glow brighter than the normal heat in the brain. If yours is done like mine, you will have magnetic tabs glued to your head the day before the surgery. They use this to help them with measurements for when the surgery is done. Are you having two surgeries? I didn't learn until after my second surgery that I did not have my skull put back on until the second surgery. After being put back on there is a special sheet of ????? that is used to reconnect the removed part of the skull.

oh wow. The neurosurgeon has not mentioned two surgeries but who knows. I meet up with him soon as well lol. Things can always change!

Lrjg said:

I had never heard of it as an MRI. It is interesting information given. It is heat sensitive picture. The area of the brain that is having seizures will glow brighter than the normal heat in the brain. If yours is done like mine, you will have magnetic tabs glued to your head the day before the surgery. They use this to help them with measurements for when the surgery is done. Are you having two surgeries? I didn't learn until after my second surgery that I did not have my skull put back on until the second surgery. After being put back on there is a special sheet of ????? that is used to reconnect the removed part of the skull.

It was two surgeries because of the grids put in.  I don't think the doctor needed to do both, but did because he wasn't possitive the seizures were really coming from the area recorded.  He thought it was coming from another area and moving to the recorded side.  The grids were put in for three weeks while there and then went back in to do the lobectomy.

okay gotcha!

Lrjg said:

It was two surgeries because of the grids put in.  I don't think the doctor needed to do both, but did because he wasn't possitive the seizures were really coming from the area recorded.  He thought it was coming from another area and moving to the recorded side.  The grids were put in for three weeks while there and then went back in to do the lobectomy.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Terms of Service Update 6/4/2012

We have updated our Terms of Service for eCommunities Groups.

Events

October 2014
SMTWTFS

© 2014   Created by EF Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service