Epilepsy Foundation

My daughters teacher isn't following her 504 plan, I need advice.

I love the school my children attend. We have had only great experiences until this year. My daughter is in 2nd grade this year and her teacher acts like she is put out because of my child. Lizabeth (my 8 year old daughter) has had a 504 in place since she started kindergarten. Everyone at her school is aware that she has epilepsy, dyslexia, and a VNS. Her teachers in the past were wonderful with her. She made A-B honor roll all year last year and now she is failing. I have had 2 conferences with her teacher and last Wednesday we had a meeting to go over her 504 at my request. The principal, Counselor, teacher and I agreed on what she needed. Then on Thursday and Friday the teacher did nothing we agreed to. The teacher is counting off for her writing things backwards and she is timing her on math facts all while Lizabeth is having several absence seizures a day. She even threatened to put Lizabeth back in Kinder if she didn't start writing her letters and numbers properly. I'm so angry about this. Lizabeth cries every morning and begs me not to make her go. The school district is so small we do not have the choice to change classes. I'm considering home school but Lizabeth has always loved going to school before now. It breaks my heart. Lizabeth is also scared of the teacher to the point that she wet her pants because she was afraid to ask to go to the restroom. I'm sorry I am rambling on but I needed to vent. I need advice on how to handle this teacher without loosing my composure. 

Views: 1588

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

IM so sorry for your little girl it just isnt fair .Her teacher sounds like a monster . Is it Possible for you to go to school with her and help keep her teacher in check ? Im kind of struggling with the same kind of issue my daughter is also in the second grade with a monster of a teacher and the teacher is not supportive of claire at all she doesnt cut claire any slack even though my daughter is having seizures at night just hours before going to school on top of feeling yucky from her meds still managing to get all A all her teachers in the past were GREAT , SUPPORTIVE , LOVING . Dont want her to lose interest in school cause of one rotten teacher . Maby you can go to the school board and complain your daughter has rights not be be punished because of a disability .
I would immediately contact the principal again and discuss what is going on with him/her. Have you thought about requesting that your daughter be evaluated to be put onto an IEP rather than staying with a 504? Legally, an IEP carries more weight than a 504. A child does not have to be failing to qualify for an IEP, unlike what most people think. Have you read any of the Wrightslaw stuff? The book From Emotions to Advocacy has been very helpful to us, I highly recommend that you get a copy and read it.
I have been in a situation similar to your. Ds first grade teacher was just like what you are describing. You mentioned a 504. Does she also have a special ed teacher? That is how we got around our teacher issue. Ds had an IEP and I requested that he be held accountable to his spec ed teacher not the regular teacher. The spec ed teacher had more experience with him and was able to give him the time and attention he needed. I actually had the reg ed teacher ask me how she was supposed to explain to the other kids parents why ds was being held to a different standard than the other kids. I reminded her that there was a confidentiality clause in the handbook and if she needed me to show it to her I would be more than happy to hilight it for her. Good Luck
Do you have an epilepsy foundation near you? We have an advocate from the foundation go to school and make visits to check on Joey. That is one option, the other is to go to the superintendent or board of education and file a complaint. This is not ok. It must break your heart to have to send your little one to school to this! Keep us posted! :) Tami
Thank you all for responding. We are in the process of setting up an IEP for her. I will be at the principals office first thing in the morning to discuss this with him yet again. I also plan on spending some time in her classroom myself this week. I live in Texas and our Epilepsy Foundation isn't a very active one. I will try to contact them and see if they can help us. Again, Thank you all for the help and support.
Hi, I would definately also let the school know that you will be contacting The Office of Civil RIghts because the teacher is not following the 504 plan. This should help with the situation too. It might even help make the situation of getting the IEP process going faster.

They can also put the things she needs in the 504 that will at one time go in the IEP. So that she can receive the help before she qualifies. I'm hoping that you can get the help you need. Donna
Also for the person, that asked about 504 and IEP.
504 is a federal law that has to do with help for people with disabilities. In the case of children in schools its for health issues especially. It helps level the playing field. To help the child get the education they deserve. If they have no learning problems, then a 504 is for them.

IEP is the word used for Special Education. In many cases there are learning disabilities, speech problems & language disabilities, autism with learning problems. There are other issues too. It takes more of a educational learning situation for the child to qualify for a IEP, they need accomodations to their education.

I'm a educational Advocate in Indiana, available to help if someone needs it. I'm free to parents in Indiana.
And can answer questions.
Donna
I'm a teacher myself so I am very familiar with 504/1508 plans . First, your child's teacher DOES NOT have an option on whether or not she follows the 504 plan. BY LAW she has to follow it. Or the school district can be sued. As a parent you can also call a meeting ANY time you feel your child is not getting his/her needs met.

Now, that being said I will say that even though I DO follow the 504/1508 plans, I also try different things. I like to see what each child can do OWN their OWN without some modifications first. You would be surprised how much a special needs child can do sometimes when you think they can't. I like to give the child a chance first to show his/her stuff. :) Their parents usually don't have a problem with it as long as they know I will work with their child to help them be successful. HOWEVER, if they really can't do the work without modifications then I go ahead and make those modifications-sometimes by retesting with modifications, sometimes by oral answers rather than written etc. Depends on the child's needs really. Of course, sometimes you just know a child will HAVE to have the modification to succeed and we go ahead and do it that way first. Again depends on the child.
I would call another meeting with the teacher, counselor, principal etc. I would also bring (or request ) the papers where the teacher is NOT making those modifications. Then I would find out EXACTLY WHY she didn't feel the need to follow the LEGAL 504 plan. I would request a modifcation sheet ( where she has to check off what modifications she made) at least every 6 or 9 weeks (depending on your grading periods). I might would even request one be sent home each week with the graded papers. The teacher will NOT like this idea (more work for her-nothing too time consuming though to check off a modification each week). But, if this is what it takes for your child to get her needs met then so be it.
I DO NOT understand why a teacher who knows a child has seizures DOES NOT make the needed modifications. Especially, if the child is having absent ones in class. REDICULOUS!
Also if your child is still not sucessful with the modifications in place then you could request an evaluation for 1508 (special ed services). The 504 plan is supposed to be the first step in trying to solve the problem. If that doesn't work then something else needs to be done. BUT, if the teacher is NOT making the modificaitons then you won't know whether the 504 plan will work or not. Hope this makes sense.
I will add though, that coming from a teacher's perspective when you have a classroom full of children with all sorts of needs (some special, some on 504, some without any motivation to perform and parents who will not do anything about it and don't care, behavior problems to the extent of constantly disrupting class and testing every nerve in your body AND nothing is EVER done in the form of punishment to put an end to it, ADHD/ADD children without their medicine or worse on it one day and not the next etc. then it is VERY hard to give all the children what they need. Especially, if your district is a Standarized Test Fanatic and everything hinges on your unmotivated, unmedicated behavior-challenged children passing the test. A test they don't care if they pass and neither do their parents. I know that sounds harsh, but it is the way it really is in a classroom these days. The teachers are stressed to the point of breaking on many days and the parents helping by not doing their job at home to help their children succeed or curb behavior problems. This doesn't mean your child isn't supposed to have her modifications - of course she is) it is simply another perspective.
But, I do understand your concerns with your child's teacher. I had to have my son put on a 504 plan this year myself (due to epilepsy/stroke issues). Luckily, his meds are working right now and he doesn't have too many problems BUT, if he has to change meds, change doses or starts having more seizures then this WILL affect his learning and performance. He has to take a state mandated pass/fail test this year. If he has siezures the week of the test then I had to have something in place for him so he wouldn't automatically fail and so he could have extra time and/or take the test during make-up days or something. We have to be our children's advocates!
I did not mean for this to sound as if you weren't doing your job as a parent to help your child at home. I'm sure you are doing everything you can to help her. :) I just had a bit of a a vent because as a teacher we truly DO have so many parents who don't care and don't do anything at home and it is sooo frustrating. LOL. This wasn't directed at you. Just an observation for this day and age in general not in anyway intended to be about your child's struggles in her school right now. I just thought I should clarify that in case it sounded like I was directing it to you. Sorry. :)

Tamelia Tumlin said:
I'm a teacher myself so I am very familiar with 504/1508 plans . First, your child's teacher DOES NOT have an option on whether or not she follows the 504 plan. BY LAW she has to follow it. Or the school district can be sued. As a parent you can also call a meeting ANY time you feel your child is not getting his/her needs met.

Now, that being said I will say that even though I DO follow the 504/1508 plans, I also try different things. I like to see what each child can do OWN their OWN without some modifications first. You would be surprised how much a special needs child can do sometimes when you think they can't. I like to give the child a chance first to show his/her stuff. :) Their parents usually don't have a problem with it as long as they know I will work with their child to help them be successful. HOWEVER, if they really can't do the work without modifications then I go ahead and make those modifications-sometimes by retesting with modifications, sometimes by oral answers rather than written etc. Depends on the child's needs really. Of course, sometimes you just know a child will HAVE to have the modification to succeed and we go ahead and do it that way first. Again depends on the child.
I would call another meeting with the teacher, counselor, principal etc. I would also bring (or request ) the papers where the teacher is NOT making those modifications. Then I would find out EXACTLY WHY she didn't feel the need to follow the LEGAL 504 plan. I would request a modifcation sheet ( where she has to check off what modifications she made) at least every 6 or 9 weeks (depending on your grading periods). I might would even request one be sent home each week with the graded papers. The teacher will NOT like this idea (more work for her-nothing too time consuming though to check off a modification each week). But, if this is what it takes for your child to get her needs met then so be it.
I DO NOT understand why a teacher who knows a child has seizures DOES NOT make the needed modifications. Especially, if the child is having absent ones in class. REDICULOUS!
Also if your child is still not sucessful with the modifications in place then you could request an evaluation for 1508 (special ed services). The 504 plan is supposed to be the first step in trying to solve the problem. If that doesn't work then something else needs to be done. BUT, if the teacher is NOT making the modificaitons then you won't know whether the 504 plan will work or not. Hope this makes sense.
I will add though, that coming from a teacher's perspective when you have a classroom full of children with all sorts of needs (some special, some on 504, some without any motivation to perform and parents who will not do anything about it and don't care, behavior problems to the extent of constantly disrupting class and testing every nerve in your body AND nothing is EVER done in the form of punishment to put an end to it, ADHD/ADD children without their medicine or worse on it one day and not the next etc. then it is VERY hard to give all the children what they need. Especially, if your district is a Standarized Test Fanatic and everything hinges on your unmotivated, unmedicated behavior-challenged children passing the test. A test they don't care if they pass and neither do their parents. I know that sounds harsh, but it is the way it really is in a classroom these days. The teachers are stressed to the point of breaking on many days and the parents helping by not doing their job at home to help their children succeed or curb behavior problems. This doesn't mean your child isn't supposed to have her modifications - of course she is) it is simply another perspective.
But, I do understand your concerns with your child's teacher. I had to have my son put on a 504 plan this year myself (due to epilepsy/stroke issues). Luckily, his meds are working right now and he doesn't have too many problems BUT, if he has to change meds, change doses or starts having more seizures then this WILL affect his learning and performance. He has to take a state mandated pass/fail test this year. If he has siezures the week of the test then I had to have something in place for him so he wouldn't automatically fail and so he could have extra time and/or take the test during make-up days or something. We have to be our children's advocates!
Do you get IE plans or 504 if you are in a private school as well? Are they required to follow them or are these things just for public school??
It really sounds like you have a problem with parents who have decided not medicate there children for ADHD/ADD and as a parent of 2 children 1 with epilepsy and the other ADHD. i have decided not to medicate the ADHD because I have no choice about medication with the epilepsy and there are many possible side effects with all medications just cant take that risk by my own freewill . Really scary that teachers could think a parent is not doing there job at home just because they dont medicate ADHD .

Tamelia Tumlin said:
I did not mean for this to sound as if you weren't doing your job as a parent to help your child at home. I'm sure you are doing everything you can to help her. :) I just had a bit of a a vent because as a teacher we truly DO have so many parents who don't care and don't do anything at home and it is sooo frustrating. LOL. This wasn't directed at you. Just an observation for this day and age in general not in anyway intended to be about your child's struggles in her school right now. I just thought I should clarify that in case it sounded like I was directing it to you. Sorry. :)

Tamelia Tumlin said:

LOL! No, I'm sorry if it sounded that way, that is not what I meant. I am NOT one for medicating the kids for ADHD or ADD. I worry about the side effects too. BUT, the ones that are on medicine that is NOT given correctly is what I'm talking about. Some parents give the child the medicine some days and take it themselves or sell part of it instead of giving it regular. It is MUCH worse on a child to have medicine one or two days then skip it for one or two more days then take it some more days etc. . Their bodies have trouble (as ours does with other medicne) when you are on it one day and off the next. The point is the children should either BE on it regularly if the parent choses to medicate or either NOT put their children on it at all. The in between stuff is what gives the kids the extreme highs and lows and hinders learning as well as self-control. I do NOT think a parent is not doing their job if they don't put their kids on ADHD/ADD medicine. I would probably not do it as well considering all the side effects etc. However, we do have MANY parents who do not parent period and it doesn't have anything to do with medicine or an ADHD child. The children in general are out of control (at home and at school) and as teachers we have VERY limited resources to correct the bad behavior and practically NO parental backup in this. This is NOT fair to the other students who are trying to learn when a child (or several as the case nowdays) are so disruptive and disrepsectful and constantly hitting, punching and kicking others. Not just occasionally as kids do, but ALL THE TIME. We have to spend more time on the dirsruptions rather than on helping our students learn.
For example, just last week we had a child literally choking another one on the playground. Two teachers and several children almost could not remove the choker from the other child.This could have ended badly. Very scary for all of us involved. Another child threw a chair at a kid in the classroom and left a knot on his head. Last year another child slammed (literally as a hard as he could) another child's (who does have a seizure disorder) head into the gym floor. These are just a few examples and this is the type of behavior I'm referring. Not the child who cant' sit still or can't help but blurt out answers etc. Those children we can work with and help. The children who are a danger to others are the ones giving us the blues. And this is getting to be more of the norm rather than the exception since there really isn't any discipline in most schools any more and the parents aren't taking care of this at home. We also had child in first or second grade a year or so go choke another child so bad an amublance had to be called. This is what I meant about parents not parenting. Not the ones who choose to not medicate their kids.
Claires Mom said:
It really sounds like you have a problem with parents who have decided not medicate there children for ADHD/ADD and as a parent of 2 children 1 with epilepsy and the other ADHD. i have decided not to medicate the ADHD because I have no choice about medication with the epilepsy and there are many possible side effects with all medications just cant take that risk by my own freewill . Really scary that teachers could think a parent is not doing there job at home just because they dont medicate ADHD .

Tamelia Tumlin said:

Tamelia Tumlin said:

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Terms of Service Update 6/4/2012

We have updated our Terms of Service for eCommunities Groups.

Events

December 2014
SMTWTFS

© 2014   Created by EF Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service