Epilepsy Foundation

Does anyone else with epilepsy ever have trouble remembering things of importance like after watching the news, reading or studying?  I only seem to remember things I am totally interested in.  Anything else seems to just fade away before I'm even done with the paragraph.  It drives me crazy.  Certain people just think I'm boring because I don't get into books and discuss it with them but they just don't understand and I'm too embarrassed to tell them that I can't remember what I read.  It's always been bad but seems to get worse as I get older.  I also wonder sometimes if it has anything to do with the surgery I had on my left temporal lobe.

Views: 146

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Heather,

I have had the same problem since I had surgery on the right temporal lobe and my Dr. removed all of the right hippocampus where short term memory and learning is.  When I spoke to my Dr. just this past week about it I was told some of this has to do with the sz. meds I take causing short term memory but most of it is do to having the hippocampus removed. I was told that the more sz. a person has it will harden and shrink the hippocampus and that's what happened to me so my Dr. removed it when I had my surgery.  I've been told to do a lot of math, word search puzzles, and crossword puzzles to help better my memory.  I was also told to do brain teasers and this would better my memory also.  I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue  

Brain Teaser:

What 8 letter word has 1 letter in it? (Hint: when you open your mailbox what's the first thing you see in it.)  Good luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

i had left temporal lobe surgery, and also have memory loss, but i rember some things about college, its just everything i rember isn t important, ive been tested every year for memory, and its improved slightly, but i sure can t notice it, i read books, not worried about rembering what its about, just to have the good feeling yes i read that, i took a job that is very repitatious and i feel thats helped me out somewhat

I feel your pain. I've had 3 resections, including removal of all my right hippocampus in addition to other areas. I try to make sure to write things down a lot. I do word puzzles and sudoku. I also recently started doing brain exercises on www.luminosity.com that include things similar to a neuropsychological exam. I just do the free version. It gives you 3 different games and will adapt it to what you say you want to work on.

I have tons of trouble absorbing info I read unless it is really interesting or I write it down. I took a free class online recently that estimated about 5 hours of work/week (mostly reading). This took my closer to 9 or 10 hours/week.

I agree though that the meds can interfere as well.

Envelope!  That's a good one!

Suzanne Porter said:

Brain Teaser:

What 8 letter word has 1 letter in it? (Hint: when you open your mailbox what's the first thing you see in it.)  Good luck and May God Bless You!

Sue

I remember back when I took medicine it really messed with my memory...There was one time I lost my wallet at the mall, someone returned it to customer service in order to get it back I had to tell them what address was on my State ID.  I couldn't even remember my own address.  Medicine can really mess you up.  Luckily after surgery I got to get off of those meds.  I only have a seizure (really an aura) now if I have caffeine or chocolate.  So I stay away from that!  I think my memory problems now are still from the surgery.  It's so strange how the mind can remember pointless things from decades ago but it can't remember things a few minutes ago.

Suzanne Porter said:

Hi Heather,

I have had the same problem since I had surgery on the right temporal lobe and my Dr. removed all of the right hippocampus where short term memory and learning is.  When I spoke to my Dr. just this past week about it I was told some of this has to do with the sz. meds I take causing short term memory but most of it is do to having the hippocampus removed. I was told that the more sz. a person has it will harden and shrink the hippocampus and that's what happened to me so my Dr. removed it when I had my surgery.  I've been told to do a lot of math, word search puzzles, and crossword puzzles to help better my memory.  I was also told to do brain teasers and this would better my memory also.  I wish you the best of luck and May God Bless You!

Sue  

I have a job right now that is very repetitious too and I think it has kept me from exercising my mind like I use to when I worked at a TV station and produced commercials. I think the opportunity to be creative helped me.  I'm like you, I can easily remember things that are not important.  I think one of the things that helped me remember stuff in college was when I had to write about it.  If I just read it it was gone from my memory in a few seconds.  I'm going back to college for another degree right now and studying is so hard.  But I'm stubborn and I'll stick to it, just to prove myself.

peter knox said:

i had left temporal lobe surgery, and also have memory loss, but i rember some things about college, its just everything i rember isn t important, ive been tested every year for memory, and its improved slightly, but i sure can t notice it, i read books, not worried about rembering what its about, just to have the good feeling yes i read that, i took a job that is very repitatious and i feel thats helped me out somewhat

I've tried www.luminosity.com. It was kind of fun!  I forgot all about that website.  I should try doing that again. 

Writing also helps me.  I can just sit and write for the longest time and not run out of things to talk about.  But if I had to speak it I would have trouble thinking of the words.  Remembering proper nouns is also hard.  Even the people I have worked with for the last 7 years I have to stop sometimes and think about what their name is before I say it.  I usually find a way to cover it up though so I don't look stupid.  It's so frustrating though.  But hey it's better than having 8 seizures a day like the past was. I couldn't hide that problem.

Lauren's Story said:

I feel your pain. I've had 3 resections, including removal of all my right hippocampus in addition to other areas. I try to make sure to write things down a lot. I do word puzzles and sudoku. I also recently started doing brain exercises on www.luminosity.com that include things similar to a neuropsychological exam. I just do the free version. It gives you 3 different games and will adapt it to what you say you want to work on.

I have tons of trouble absorbing info I read unless it is really interesting or I write it down. I took a free class online recently that estimated about 5 hours of work/week (mostly reading). This took my closer to 9 or 10 hours/week.

I agree though that the meds can interfere as well.

I'm taking statistics this semester ... now I'm thinking, "what did I get myself into?"  Takes me forever to do the homework, but I guess statistics is a good brain exercise.  And I feel good when I see the grade.  I guess the brain is like the body, if it just sits around and doesn't work it gets lazy and weak.  Some just have to work harder to stay fit.

Suzanne Porter said:

Hi Heather,

Sue  

Hi Heather,

You got the brain teaser correct, that's great!  My Epileptologist has told me that the more active a person keeps themselves the better their memory will be.  I know that after I had my 2 surgeries my short term memory has not been that good.  I will see people and recognize them but I can't remember their names, plus my spelling has gone down hill terrible.  Just like Lauren I do the luminosity brain games and they have helped me a lot.  You are playing it smart taking statistics this semester you will keep your brain working a lot and I'm sure you will do great.  Here's another brain teaser for you if you want to do it.

5+5+5=550  Add one line to the problem so this will be true. (Don't cross out the = sign). 

This drove me up the wall and when I saw the answer I felt dumb.  Good Luck and May God Bless You!

Sue  

THANK YOU FOR POSTING THIS!! Mine are in the left temporal lobe and I don't want to chance surgery.

Remember meds can screw w/ your memory too. But I remember things from years ago better than yesterday.

I write A LOT of stuff down on a calendar booklet, (If I hung out with a friend, the miles I ran, If I had anxiety, a seizure...) I have saved those calendars over all these years, I keep them in my purse always. Truthfully that calendar makes me have a better memory than some of my friends lol.

I have not had surgery but been on AED for many years and right now with Keprra and Vimpat it is happening often enough to concern me.

Are you still on AED's of any kind or is it soley attributed to your surgery? I ask because I have no idea.

Be well and keep up the brain exercise.

Jose

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Terms of Service Update 6/4/2012

We have updated our Terms of Service for eCommunities Groups.

Events

December 2014
SMTWTFS

© 2014   Created by EF Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service