Epilepsy Foundation

Has Anyone tried Lamitical and if so what advice due you have.. I have been given this as a add-on medication and wanted to know how people did on it?? Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks,

Rozzy

Views: 350

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Hi Rozzy
Lamictal worked great for me, sez free for 4 months, until I woke up one morning and discovered hives all over my body. But, during those 4 months I didn't have any side effects of any sort. Good Luck with it :)

Ashley
I do fine on it. But you have to titrate on to it very slowly. There is a very bad rash that you can get as a side effect. I did not get it, but while I was transitioning on I did think I got a bit pink & flushed. I am on only Lamictal, nothing else.
I have been on Lamictal three or four years now, I think. I was on Keppra and Lamictal when i had surgery (going on three years seizure free!) After surgery I was weaned off Keppra, but remained on Lamictal. Don''t get me started on Keppra, would rather spend my life in the hospital then back on Keppra. But i love Lamictal. What other meds are you on for the seizures?
My 17 year old daughter has been on lamictal for two years as an add on to zonegran and to replace depakot. We like the lamictal as in didn't cause the stomach pains, weight loss and hand tremors that depakot did. She also was able to think more clearly. There is a generic form of the drug, lamotrigine, however my daughter had break through seizures when she took the lamotrigine and was put back on lamictal. She's now on a combination of lamictal and zerontin and has had some breakthrough but not nearly as bad.
I've been on Lamictal for 3 1/2 years and I had no side effects with it either. Keppra was added in Jan 2009 along with an increased doseage of Lamictal. I had some side effects from the Keppra but nothing with Lamictal. As with Launa's reply, I had breakthrough seizures with the generic form, lamotrignie, but once I was put back on the brand name so side effects happened.
I have taken Lamictal for two years, one of the newer meds (I actually work for GSK the manufacturer) and well tolerated. My only side effect was increasing the dose to a point where I couldn't tolerate it -- dizzy, drugged feeling that resolved itself in a couple of hours. Currently take 200mg am and 225 pm for Temporal Lobe Epilepsy...
Definitely stay away from generics of Lamictal. I take Lamictal as well, I am in pharma sales (working for the company that makes Lamictal) -- generics can come from multiple manufacturers and the quantities of ingredients contain more variance because of this. Also, I would be hesitant of switching from the twice a day to once daily since the peak plasma concentrations/blood levels differ. There is also a new form of Lamictal that comes in an orally disintegrating tablet. Hope this helps

Launa Rabago said:
My 17 year old daughter has been on lamictal for two years as an add on to zonegran and to replace depakot. We like the lamictal as in didn't cause the stomach pains, weight loss and hand tremors that depakot did. She also was able to think more clearly. There is a generic form of the drug, lamotrigine, however my daughter had break through seizures when she took the lamotrigine and was put back on lamictal. She's now on a combination of lamictal and zerontin and has had some breakthrough but not nearly as bad.
I'm on 2500 mg of Keppra and Lamictal as a kicker. I haven't had any trouble with. Keppra has so many side effect that I really can't tell if Lamictal has any or not. You have to be VERY careful about rashes. If you get one, have it checked at the ER ASAP. Nothing to fool with. Even if you think you know what it is.
I have been taking Lamictal for a year and a half, and so far no side effects. It is monotherapy in my case. Do watch for the rash, stay away from the generics, and be very careful to follow your neuro's instructions as to the titration.

Everyone reacts differently to the same medicine, so even if Lamictal works for me it may not be the best for someone else. Don't hesitate to notify your doctor of any possible side effects that you experience.

I wish you success with this new combo!
Oops I forgot: when I first started taking Lamictal I had a headaches. I told the doctor if I had to choose either headaches or seizures, headaches were a better alternative.
-Moxie Q =^^=

MoxieQ said:
I have been taking Lamictal for a year and a half, and so far no side effects. It is monotherapy in my case. Do watch for the rash, stay away from the generics, and be very careful to follow your neuro's instructions as to the titration.

Everyone reacts differently to the same medicine, so even if Lamictal works for me it may not be the best for someone else. Don't hesitate to notify your doctor of any possible side effects that you experience.

I wish you success with this new combo!
I was taking a full dose of it and it made me dizzy and fall down a lot. I just couldn't functiom. So then my neuro cut it into half a tablet and now I feel like a person again. Otherwise I felt like I was going to have a seizure at anytime. I am still taking it with my Depakote ER 500mg and 250mg at night and then 125mg in the morning. Along with so many other meds. It's nuts, but I have really bad epilepsy along with a brain tumor. Oh well those are the cards that I was dealt and I live with them. No pity no anything. I am just happy to be here. =)
i was given lamictal 2004, before that i was on depakote for 7 years which worked great, best AED I've been on. but long term side effects are not worth it. my neuro said lamictal is one of the safest drugs, 1st year had 2-3 seizures while my body adept, & now have been seizure free for 4+ years, (knock on wood)... i still feel my aura's, alcohol & lamictal are no good together at all, i find my speech slur from time to time, & always tired. but you can't have it all, overall, im seizure free.

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Terms of Service Update 6/4/2012

We have updated our Terms of Service for eCommunities Groups.

Events

April 2014
SMTWTFS

© 2014   Created by EF Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service