Epilepsy Foundation

I've been trying for nearly four years now to understand what's happening to my husband. Has anyone any experience with Lamictal/Lamotrigine? Does it have any side effects on mood and emotional stability? I'm just trying to understand finally what effect this bi-polar medication has on non-bipolar patients. Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated. .  . 

Views: 377

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lamictal can have emotional side effects, although it's supposed to be a more mellow AED. I'm on it and it hasn't caused any problems. With emotional changes you have to tread lightly when blaming a medication vs external causes. I only say that in his interest in finding a solid AED-it's hard for us to find stable meds that actually control our seizures. 

Lamictal is supposed to be a mood stabilizer in addition to being an AED. It can also cause insomnia though. 

We are dealing with this now also. Tony's mood swings are basically emotional abuse. He is not the man I married. I finally called the seizure doc this morning after having witnessed another emotional meltdown due to the Lamictal. Our oldest child is adopted and special needs. Tony lashes out on our oldest child or me. Never our youngest child. I grew up in an emotionally abusive household. Not going to let that happen here for the kids. Going to seizure doc in a few days to discuss med change options. Really afraid what the next medication will be like. I have read about the mood swings for yrs. Never experienced them until the last 2 months.

Someone who understands,

Jesica in IL

Boy I can relate.  My husband used to be the sweetest guy and all my friends were jealous of how I was treated.  Now he has been on Lamactil and I don't know who he is anymore but his seizures are probably better than they were on the other drugs.  We haven't had sex in a year, he never holds my hand or is affectionate.  I am in good shape and am told by many that I'm very attractive and I just modeled so no it's not that I let myself go.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  I feel like we have nothing left yet I don't want to divorce him because I don't know what he would do by himself and my daughter would be devastated.  He has lost two jobs and his memory is not very good.  It is so frustrating and I feel so alone.  I want my old husband back but I'm afraid he is gone for good.  His last concussion from falling 2 years ago is when he switched from Kepra to Lamactil and ever since he is not the same.  Is it the drugs or did the concussion do it?  Sad.

You describe exactly how I feel. For over a decade, he was my best friend and now I feel like I'm married to a stranger. I love the man I believe is somewhere inside this person I don't know, which makes it so hard for me to make up my mind to leave, but he's becoming increasingly aggressive and unpredictable, and the VA really doesn't give a damn. They just keep Feng him the drug, unmonitored. He hasn't even seen a doctor in over a year, but he's been able to keep getting medication. It's so frustrating. I just want my husband back. I just want my life back.

KC said:

Boy I can relate.  My husband used to be the sweetest guy and all my friends were jealous of how I was treated.  Now he has been on Lamactil and I don't know who he is anymore but his seizures are probably better than they were on the other drugs.  We haven't had sex in a year, he never holds my hand or is affectionate.  I am in good shape and am told by many that I'm very attractive and I just modeled so no it's not that I let myself go.  I just don't know what to do anymore.  I feel like we have nothing left yet I don't want to divorce him because I don't know what he would do by himself and my daughter would be devastated.  He has lost two jobs and his memory is not very good.  It is so frustrating and I feel so alone.  I want my old husband back but I'm afraid he is gone for good.  His last concussion from falling 2 years ago is when he switched from Kepra to Lamactil and ever since he is not the same.  Is it the drugs or did the concussion do it?  Sad.

I too can relate in some ways.  My husband, Troy, has been having a tough time since he lost his job due to the economy, and we are at a stand still to fulfill our want for children because there is not enough money coming in.  He also has been having trouble doing tasks for more than two hours without feeling dizziness, double vision or the need to take a break because of light headedness.  His mood is very unstable at times because he doesn't know what to do next and feels inadequate compared to before.  I never imagined that it was the lamactil causing the mood swings due to him being on zoloft along side it.  Part of me wonders if the environmental issues are not helping either.  Kepra is what gave us the most greif.  He was immediately taken off kepra after two months use due to a temporary psychosis which involved halusinations as well as demon like thoughts.  My hope for him is that when the environmental concerns subside, his mood will too.  Medication changes is NO FUN!!!

Laday and KC, your replies sound like words from my heart. Im so lonely since he changed meds(one of the new meds is lamictal). I kiss my husband. I don't want a divorce, I still love him, but im painfully lonely. No affection at all. None. It's almost like he doesn't like me anymore. I totally know what y'all are experiencing. We have four small children, live with his family, and I have no family of my own, so his family is supposed to be our support. It's hard. I wish he could take something else, because these meds make him so distant towards net, but they are working. He hasn't had a single seizure since starting lamictal. So, UT stays. If your husbands lack if affection causes undue stress on the relationship AND doesn't properly control his Epilepsy, maybe talk with him about trying a different med? I know I wish I could!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Terms of Service Update 6/4/2012

We have updated our Terms of Service for eCommunities Groups.

Events

September 2014
SMTWTFS

© 2014   Created by EF Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service