Epilepsy Foundation

ok so i got a copy of my sons eeg because no one had the care to call me back.
I am so confused it says 

The awake background activity was not well organized and showed moderate amplitude admixed theta and occasional delta slowing. Low amplitude 8-9 hz was seen in the forntocentral regions and low moderate amplitude beta activity was seen in the frontal and temporal regions. Sleep was characterized by diffuse and symmetric  low medium amplitude theta with superimposed low voltage 16-20 hz. Beta fast activity in the central region with intermittent low moderate amplitude spindles synchronously over both sides. arousal showed symettric slow activity 


Interpretation this is an abnormal eeg 

So confused what does this all mean he had two previous eegs done one showed the seizures the other normal after meds now this. I dont get it??????

Views: 354

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's one for your neuro to answer. Phone tomorrow. Emma had two normal ish EEGs and then a very abnormal one. It indicated that her epilepsy was progressing and it was time for a different drug. That was when we decided to try the ketogenic diet. 
See I am still trying to figure this out. EEG's are time specific and do't necessarily depict how it is 'all the time' right? What I am getting at is~ If a child has a few semi-normal EEG's, then a bad one, could it be lots of 'triggers' that day or just an off day? How do the nueros know it is always like that???

Just asking out loud!:)
They don't know it's always like that. Just like if you have a normal one they don't know it's always like that. The thing you have to choose is are you treating the worst day or the best day. Personally I push them to be aggressive in treatment because the background activity impairs my daughters ability to learn. 

Vanessa said:
See I am still trying to figure this out. EEG's are time specific and do't necessarily depict how it is 'all the time' right? What I am getting at is~ If a child has a few semi-normal EEG's, then a bad one, could it be lots of 'triggers' that day or just an off day? How do the nueros know it is always like that??? Just asking out loud!:)

but what is background activity??? Is it important
Irishmum said:
They don't know it's always like that. Just like if you have a normal one they don't know it's always like that. The thing you have to choose is are you treating the worst day or the best day. Personally I push them to be aggressive in treatment because the background activity impairs my daughters ability to learn. 

Vanessa said:
See I am still trying to figure this out. EEG's are time specific and do't necessarily depict how it is 'all the time' right? What I am getting at is~ If a child has a few semi-normal EEG's, then a bad one, could it be lots of 'triggers' that day or just an off day? How do the nueros know it is always like that??? Just asking out loud!:)
Sorry I don't konw that ..I am trying to figure out how they decide one EEG means it is like that all the time...maybve the next one 3 days later is perfect...IF that makes sense..
Talk to your neuro. Some say its not important and that they only treat clinical seizures. Others say its important to treat because it interferes with learning and development.

thats the exact problem we are having he has a very hard time in school.
Irishmum said:
Talk to your neuro. Some say its not important and that they only treat clinical seizures. Others say its important to treat because it interferes with learning and development.
Which leads to another question.....Can an EEG be 'bad' but the child not having problems in school? Does that make sense? Are you saying then they may not treat it? I am just curious/still learning after almost 3 years!
I think the child can do ok in school despite what the EEG is showing. Slowing can mean a few things, from what I have seen in reading. My son has had slowing and was able to do OK through high school. Slowing can mean that there is a chance for seizures, an abnormal place like a lesion (but not always, my son always has a perfectly clean MRI as do many people with epilepsy. My MRI is only abnormal in areas that indicate my migraines)

Most doctors do not just treat the EEG patterns but the symptoms of seizures. I hope that the neurologist will explain this further.
well the doctor called back and basically said slowing is a sign of developmental delay and basically that my son is slow. Can you believe he said that!
It can be that but I would not have expected him to deliver the message in that way. My daughter had infantile spasms and last march her previously normal EEC came back with multifocal activity and background slowing. It was a sign of lennox gastaut syndrome which often follows infantile spasms so we acted immediately to treat it. I can absolutely say without question that the bad EEG interfered with learning and development. She was a different child overnight once we normalized the EEG. It's ok to get a second opinion if you feel your child is not being treated properly. Did the neuro give any insight as to whether he would treat this or not?

alicia spencer said:
well the doctor called back and basically said slowing is a sign of developmental delay and basically that my son is slow. Can you believe he said that!

he just said it qwas no big deal that its to be expected since he has some developmental delay but my question is he has always had developmental delay and this is the first eeg other than the one that diagnosed his E to be abnormal . He said just ignore it
Irishmum said:
It can be that but I would not have expected him to deliver the message in that way. My daughter had infantile spasms and last march her previously normal EEC came back with multifocal activity and background slowing. It was a sign of lennox gastaut syndrome which often follows infantile spasms so we acted immediately to treat it. I can absolutely say without question that the bad EEG interfered with learning and development. She was a different child overnight once we normalized the EEG. It's ok to get a second opinion if you feel your child is not being treated properly. Did the neuro give any insight as to whether he would treat this or not?

alicia spencer said:
well the doctor called back and basically said slowing is a sign of developmental delay and basically that my son is slow. Can you believe he said that!

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Terms of Service Update 6/4/2012

We have updated our Terms of Service for eCommunities Groups.

Events

October 2014
SMTWTFS
1234
567891011
12131415161718
19202122232425
262728293031
       

© 2014   Created by EF Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service