Epilepsy Foundation

I'm having a really hard time sleeping. The meds
I take are keppra and depokta. Does anyone
know any tips for sleeping with these meds?

Views: 679

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Zane

I also take keppra, 1500 twice a day.(6 times what I started at)  Now it seems to make me sleep more, but I do remember having trouble sleeping at first.  I've always been some what of an insomniac.  My neuro prescribed me lorazepam (generic ativan) to take as needed.  I almost never use them for sleep anymore.  I will use them for anxiety when the rare occasion of me being a little bi polar.  I can take it when I have an aura and it can also help lower the intensity of the seizure.  My seizures are down to about a couple months apart and the last few have been when I'm sleeping so I don't always get the chance to take one.  So maybe talk with your doctor.  and its really cheap I don't have insurance besides the help Walmart gives me and its just a few bucks for 30 and that last me a long time now.

My dad told me that if you can count down from ten to zero with out thinking of anything in between the numbers(which isn't that easy) you'll put your mind into a state that it is easier to fall asleep.

How long have you been taking your meds?  Ive been on keppra(generic) for 2 years or more.  Recently switch neuros and the new one has upped my dose each of the 2 times Ive seen him and the past 2 or 3 months it seems like I can't sleep enough.  I don't really feel too tired during the day but when I go to sleep, If I don't need to wake up for anything, Ive been sleeping for up to 14 hours a few times.  Most of the time 10 to 12 hours but that more than I used to.

Hope you're sleeping right now

Dustin

I wish I could say I knew the answer to perfect sleep. I am on Lamictal and have had chronic insomnia thanks to it for the past 2 or 3 years. I have tried Melatonin, Klonopin (That was HORRIBLE!), Benadryl and Tylenol PM, and Ativan (Lorazepam). One would work for awhile, and then I guess I grew a resistance to it. I got into the bad habit of using Ativan every night. My neuro told me to avoid that, since it is obviously important to epilepsy patients for other uses. Currently I am taking Melatonin (the max allowed 6mg) one night, and Benadryl the next-alternating the two. I am still having trouble. My neuro is very gradually weaning me off Lamictal to rid of the problem. Is that an option for you?

Also, keep in mind "sleep hygiene" to possibly help some. I try to follow it as best as possible, with the exception of caffeine because I found it to make no difference. Otherwise, I use almost all of these techniques. http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorders/sleep-benefits-10/slideshow-sl...

Im on keppra now and I took depokta when I first started having seziers and  it made me really depressed I cried all day

now im on  Kepppra 500mg 2 a day

Dilantin 100mg 1 a day

Felbamate 600 mg  5 a day witch Is a little scary cause its killed some people but it was a last resort

plus im on zoloft for derpession

Hope you feel better who's your doc.

I ended up going to a sleep clinic!  Due to being a different place, it took longer for me to fall asleep.  As well, for some reason I woke up middle of the night there (NEVER do that) and woke up early.  One comment the doc said to me was there are therapists (sounds bad, but listen) that can "coach" us on sleep as well as give us techniques that may help.

I found that Melatonin helps with sleep (1-3mg for dose).  However that only worked for a few months in my case.  It might still be helping, but it's not as noticeable as it was at first.

I need to pay closer attention to the weather stats.  I think that large changes in weather (mainly pressure) MAY contribute to some of my sleep problems.  Also seasonal changes seem to have an effect at times.

--Travis

I have found that I can actually sleep better on keppra than I could on lamictal after my body got used to it. Do you try and go to sleep at about the same time every night? My Doc had the suggestion of trying to sleep at the same time every night and taking it right before I went to sleep. This way I would not get a suge of meds in my system before my brain was trying to relax and going to sleep. Once your body gets used to it you can get some easier sleep. We are all different though so talk to your doc.

Same for me with the Melatonin. It has helped...some. It will help for awhile, and then pretty much do nothing. With my pharmacist's and doctor's approval, I increased it to the max amount-6mg/night. It still isn't greatly beneficial though right now. I am anxious to see if it really is the Lamictal for myself.

TravisEd said:

I ended up going to a sleep clinic!  Due to being a different place, it took longer for me to fall asleep.  As well, for some reason I woke up middle of the night there (NEVER do that) and woke up early.  One comment the doc said to me was there are therapists (sounds bad, but listen) that can "coach" us on sleep as well as give us techniques that may help.

I found that Melatonin helps with sleep (1-3mg for dose).  However that only worked for a few months in my case.  It might still be helping, but it's not as noticeable as it was at first.

I need to pay closer attention to the weather stats.  I think that large changes in weather (mainly pressure) MAY contribute to some of my sleep problems.  Also seasonal changes seem to have an effect at times.

--Travis

Does anyone know any tips for sleeping with these meds?

I know that I don't know a freaking therapist telling me how to fall asleep! "Hi, I'm Brian, and I'll be your Sleep Coach for tonight. Let's all of us go to sleep right now...Ok?"

I tried Ambien. Horrible nightmares for me, but it works for some folks very well! What really knocks me out now is taking a simple Advil along with a .05 Lorazapam (along with the 3,450mgs AEDs I take during the day) plus one Advil before bed and I sleep 10-11 hrs straight. I honestly think taking ONE Advil does the trick.But I sleep like a teenager, I swear, whereas prior to adding Topamax, I was always awake due to the headaches Lamictal brought on.

My doc keeps prescribing the Lorazapam because I don't abuse it...although the script reads "Take three times a day or as needed..." I only take one, and that's at bedtime, because a lot of my seizures happen just as I'm falling asleep or in mid-sleep. Oh, and I take one when I hafta go to the dentist.

So try Melatonin first. Maybe a hot bath, as well, with Anya playing in the background. Wait, I take the Anya part back. Just candles would be good. They don't make noise.

Where was I?

I agree that weather changes can mess up sleep patterns unless you live in a state where it's never cool..like down south and the air conditioning is on continuously so we have no clue what's going on out there. Until we receive the utility bill. And that hurricane and direct hit lightening strike that blew up my new flat screen tvs, (which still haven't been fixed...hallo? Anyone out there want to work?)Dish Network went bah bye, and our PC blew up, tress fell in the yard, the dog wouldn't stop whining , the stupid smoke alarm woulding stop beeping because 'batteries are low batteries are low'...not to mention our boat almost landed three states away because the dock lines snapped and my husband was in London on business and didn't even bring home a t-shirt for me. The jerk. ahem. ...talk about no sleeping and a bit of seizure activity. Wide awake for days. But we were luckier than many other people so I'm not complaining.(I think I just did. sorry.)

Try the melatonin. And an Advil at night. Just one of those Advils works for me.Talk to your doc, perhaps there's something else out there that will play nice with your other meds? Sheesh, if your doc tells you to jog five miles before you go to bed tell him/her you will, as long as she/he joins you.

Seriously, I wish you the best and go sleepytime.

I need my Advil. See? I'm still up cuz I haven't taken mine yet!

Take care!

Best wishes.

3 Ativan per day?! Geez! My doctor didn't say to stop taking it because of being afraid of abuse. She didn't want me to grow a tolerance to it and it not help in an emergency situation (i.e. severe or multiple seizures).

Tuckermom said:

Does anyone know any tips for sleeping with these meds?

I know that I don't know a freaking therapist telling me how to fall asleep! "Hi, I'm Brian, and I'll be your Sleep Coach for tonight. Let's all of us go to sleep right now...Ok?"

I tried Ambien. Horrible nightmares for me, but it works for some folks very well! What really knocks me out now is taking a simple Advil along with a .05 Lorazapam (along with the 3,450mgs AEDs I take during the day) plus one Advil before bed and I sleep 10-11 hrs straight. I honestly think taking ONE Advil does the trick.But I sleep like a teenager, I swear, whereas prior to adding Topamax, I was always awake due to the headaches Lamictal brought on.

My doc keeps prescribing the Lorazapam because I don't abuse it...although the script reads "Take three times a day or as needed..." I only take one, and that's at bedtime, because a lot of my seizures happen just as I'm falling asleep or in mid-sleep. Oh, and I take one when I hafta go to the dentist.

So try Melatonin first. Maybe a hot bath, as well, with Anya playing in the background. Wait, I take the Anya part back. Just candles would be good. They don't make noise.

Where was I?

I agree that weather changes can mess up sleep patterns unless you live in a state where it's never cool..like down south and the air conditioning is on continuously so we have no clue what's going on out there. Until we receive the utility bill. And that hurricane and direct hit lightening strike that blew up my new flat screen tvs, (which still haven't been fixed...hallo? Anyone out there want to work?)Dish Network went bah bye, and our PC blew up, tress fell in the yard, the dog wouldn't stop whining , the stupid smoke alarm woulding stop beeping because 'batteries are low batteries are low'...not to mention our boat almost landed three states away because the dock lines snapped and my husband was in London on business and didn't even bring home a t-shirt for me. The jerk. ahem. ...talk about no sleeping and a bit of seizure activity. Wide awake for days. But we were luckier than many other people so I'm not complaining.(I think I just did. sorry.)

Try the melatonin. And an Advil at night. Just one of those Advils works for me.Talk to your doc, perhaps there's something else out there that will play nice with your other meds? Sheesh, if your doc tells you to jog five miles before you go to bed tell him/her you will, as long as she/he joins you.

Seriously, I wish you the best and go sleepytime.

I need my Advil. See? I'm still up cuz I haven't taken mine yet!

Take care!

Best wishes.

IDK guys, I take 3 500 MG tablets of Keppra, 3 250 MG of Depokta, and a 10 MG tablet of ambien. doesnt matter what I do these days.

zane in my opinion it really hasent worked for me in sleeping it has made me really sluhish it is 2/3 in controlling my seizures how well are yours controlled idk about keprra but i know that it makes you tired that is one side affect if im correct

5-10mg of melatonin, (usually 10mg)  helps me the most.

I am also having a hard time sleeping, but I am currently taking different meds than what your taking. But all I can try to do is lay down & try to sleep, if I can't I just get up & get on my comp & play Spider Solitaire till I do get sleepy LOL.

Cherokee

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Terms of Service Update 6/4/2012

We have updated our Terms of Service for eCommunities Groups.

Events

October 2014
SMTWTFS

© 2014   Created by EF Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service