Epilepsy Foundation

What did you have to tell them in order to qualify?  My husband sent a letter to our local chapter and they said they are not sure our daughter would qualify. Was just wondering what I might have said or not said.

Michelle

Views: 1609

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

The rules vary among different areas so your daughter may or may not qualify in your area. In Some areas the standard is life threatening - while others standard is life altering. In our area the standard for epilepsy is a diagnosis of intractable epilepsy. Having failed at least 2 meds and one med combo. No one at Make a Wish will confirm eligibility until they hear from the doctor, too.

Carol
Thanks.

julismom said:
The rules vary among different areas so your daughter may or may not qualify in your area. In Some areas the standard is life threatening - while others standard is life altering. In our area the standard for epilepsy is a diagnosis of intractable epilepsy. Having failed at least 2 meds and one med combo. No one at Make a Wish will confirm eligibility until they hear from the doctor, too.

Carol
I was under the impression it has to be life threatening. Otherwise there would be another million added to the list. Not that its right but my understanding
I was just asking because i have seen and read about plenty of people with seizures getting wishes. It kind of surprised me.
Michelle

Melissa Wang said:
I was under the impression it has to be life threatening. Otherwise there would be another million added to the list. Not that its right but my understanding
you might want to ask her neurologist to write a note. where we live that's how you get a wish.
Well, I was just asking because my daughter has had such a rough year. Her dad wanted to nominate her. It's really not a big deal. Thanks for the replies.
Michelle

luanne said:
you might want to ask her neurologist to write a note. where we live that's how you get a wish.
Our daugther got a wish from MAW last year. if you go to the MAW web site it clearly states what the qualifications are

There was discussion not long ago here about kids not getting wishes. Your childs doctor has to fill out papers and state that your daughters epilepsy is life threatening. Some neurologists consider all intractible epilepsy cases life threatneing, while others only consider the more severe epilepsys life threatening. My daughter has Lennox Gastaut syndrome, when we talked to MAW we were told that kids with epilepsy aren't always granted wishes. It depends on the doctor. We always knew that she would qualify. We had seen her life hang in the balance one to many times by that point to question.

For us it was a quick process, we talked to MAW on a Monday and by the following Sunday the Wish granters were calling me. That was in January, Heather Riley went on her trip in March.

Who is eligible?
A child with a life-threatening medical condition who has reached the age of 2 1/2 and is under the age of 18 at the time of referral, is potentially eligible for a wish.

After a child is referred to the Make-A-Wish Foundation®, the Foundation will contact the child's treating physician to determine whether the child is medically eligible for a wish, based on the medical criteria established by the Make-A-Wish Foundation of America. In addition, a child cannot have received a wish from another wish-granting organization.

How can I refer a child?
To learn more about referring a child who lives in the United States or one of its territories, you may use our online inquiry form or contact your local chapter.

If you would like to learn more about referring a child residing outside the United States, please contact Make-A-Wish Foundation® International. If you are not eligible to refer a child, please ask the child's family to visit our Web site or contact their local chapter or international affiliate.

Good luck!
Thanks so much for all the replies. We have not heard from them except to get information on how to reach the doctor. So, I guess we will see. Our doctor is in so man places that it might take a bit for him to get the information. I guess the worst thing they can say is no. I have just watched my daughter go through so much this year that when my husband mentioned it, I thought it was worth a try.
Michelle

Denae said:
Our daugther got a wish from MAW last year. if you go to the MAW web site it clearly states what the qualifications are

There was discussion not long ago here about kids not getting wishes. Your childs doctor has to fill out papers and state that your daughters epilepsy is life threatening. Some neurologists consider all intractible epilepsy cases life threatneing, while others only consider the more severe epilepsys life threatening. My daughter has Lennox Gastaut syndrome, when we talked to MAW we were told that kids with epilepsy aren't always granted wishes. It depends on the doctor. We always knew that she would qualify. We had seen her life hang in the balance one to many times by that point to question.

For us it was a quick process, we talked to MAW on a Monday and by the following Sunday the Wish granters were calling me. That was in January, Heather Riley went on her trip in March.

Who is eligible?
A child with a life-threatening medical condition who has reached the age of 2 1/2 and is under the age of 18 at the time of referral, is potentially eligible for a wish.

After a child is referred to the Make-A-Wish Foundation®, the Foundation will contact the child's treating physician to determine whether the child is medically eligible for a wish, based on the medical criteria established by the Make-A-Wish Foundation of America. In addition, a child cannot have received a wish from another wish-granting organization.

How can I refer a child?
To learn more about referring a child who lives in the United States or one of its territories, you may use our online inquiry form or contact your local chapter.

If you would like to learn more about referring a child residing outside the United States, please contact Make-A-Wish Foundation® International. If you are not eligible to refer a child, please ask the child's family to visit our Web site or contact their local chapter or international affiliate.

Good luck!
We were denied here in Ma and where we where devastated! Some states are hard, that’s all I can say!
I worked with make a wish for a long time several years ago....It certainly sounds as if you were turned away for the wrong reason..I know this sounds very small, but if you go to your local rescue squad in your town and just simply ask them, they will more than likely run a large 50/50 for you and also have fund raisers..I was on our squad for 9 years and had to stop because of sudden seizures, so I could no longer rush to a call in my car....I have just had successful surgery her in New Jersey and my life is about to change next month when I can actually get in my car and drive myself whereever I want to go, when I want to go...What did you ask make a wish for?..Let me know and I'll be more than happy to see what I can do for you

Beth
I will send you our story, once you accept me! Thanks for even caring!

BETH said:
I worked with make a wish for a long time several years ago....It certainly sounds as if you were turned away for the wrong reason..I know this sounds very small, but if you go to your local rescue squad in your town and just simply ask them, they will more than likely run a large 50/50 for you and also have fund raisers..I was on our squad for 9 years and had to stop because of sudden seizures, so I could no longer rush to a call in my car....I have just had successful surgery her in New Jersey and my life is about to change next month when I can actually get in my car and drive myself whereever I want to go, when I want to go...What did you ask make a wish for?..Let me know and I'll be more than happy to see what I can do for you

Beth
We still have not heard back, but our doctor is also military and is only in the office every so often. We do have an appointment next week, as our daughter has had four seizures in the last month. Maybe no news is good news. I would have thought we would have heard something either way though.
Michelle

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Terms of Service Update 6/4/2012

We have updated our Terms of Service for eCommunities Groups.

Events

August 2014
SMTWTFS

© 2014   Created by EF Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service