Epilepsy Foundation

I was just curious as to how many of us with E are on disability.

Tags: assistance, benefits, diability, disabled, epilepsy, medical, security, social

Views: 8219

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I had a hearing and was denied and then I appeal to the next level and they wouldn't reconsider the Judges decision. My attorney didn't want to go any farther but I was told I could appeal to the next level but I did not. It would have been great if they counted back until I filed the first time.
I applied online for SSA, and printed out everything that I filled out on the SSA website. Instead of sending it online to wherever it goes, I took those printed forms to my local SSA office, and I spoke to someone there that day. The lady I talked to found my info in their computer system and told me it would be about a 3-4 month wait before a decision was made. After 4 months, no decision had been made so I was just assuming that it would be denied when I would finally hear back from them. I even went to the local office once and spoke to the same rep. there who knew me from when I first applied, and she told me that I should know within 3 weeks.

In July 2010, I ended up getting approved. They looked back at my medical and work history and apparently saw all my past injuries from seizures, and saw that the store I worked at for over 12 years closed in 2009. They decided that was when I "became disabled" and gave me back pay from that day until now. So miracles can happen, you can get approved on the first try with SSA. I have had several people tell me that they have been fighting for close to 2 years to try and get approved for disability with attorneys. All I did was fill out an application online and talk to the people in the local office a few times.
congrats maybe my dds will go through that easy

Michael Vojtech said:
I applied online for SSA, and printed out everything that I filled out on the SSA website. Instead of sending it online to wherever it goes, I took those printed forms to my local SSA office, and I spoke to someone there that day. The lady I talked to found my info in their computer system and told me it would be about a 3-4 month wait before a decision was made. After 4 months, no decision had been made so I was just assuming that it would be denied when I would finally hear back from them. I even went to the local office once and spoke to the same rep. there who knew me from when I first applied, and she told me that I should know within 3 weeks.

In July 2010, I ended up getting approved. They looked back at my medical and work history and apparently saw all my past injuries from seizures, and saw that the store I worked at for over 12 years closed in 2009. They decided that was when I "became disabled" and gave me back pay from that day until now. So miracles can happen, you can get approved on the first try with SSA. I have had several people tell me that they have been fighting for close to 2 years to try and get approved for disability with attorneys. All I did was fill out an application online and talk to the people in the local office a few times.
I have been on disability for over a year now....YES it was quite a fight. I applied for it in 2005. I was disapprove twice. After being denied, I found a lawyer NOT under the Social Security to help me who specialize in SS Disablity.
You need to look into what or how your state consider you are disable due to your seizures. This does not stop everything if you dont fully meet what your state consider disable.
Make sure your doctor examines you full every test to test everything pertaining to your health...the type and results of the test...and you keeping track of you seizures...the number of them, how the meds are effecting you..and so on.
First of all, I was not being diagnos correctly with my form of epilepsy. I had to go out of my home state to find a epileptic who was very determine to find out what type of seizures and the cause of my seizures. He diagnos them as intractable seizures after a number of test and after a number of different meds. Your doctor plays an important part of whether you are approved or not. Now after you connect, bring your lawyer in the picture requesting medical files from back in the day to now. Let your doctor know what you are attempting to do and get their point of view and what steps you could take to help you....single parent, lack of income to meet the needs of the family and so on.
ITS GOING TO BE A FIGHT...make sure you go in will to win the war. If you are not approve of disability you might can get SSI which will help. Better something than nothing. ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!!!
you are right it can be a fight and sometimes you can get it without too much trouble

Stacey Shandrell Johnson said:
I have been on disability for over a year now....YES it was quite a fight. I applied for it in 2005. I was disapprove twice. After being denied, I found a lawyer NOT under the Social Security to help me who specialize in SS Disablity.
You need to look into what or how your state consider you are disable due to your seizures. This does not stop everything if you dont fully meet what your state consider disable.
Make sure your doctor examines you full every test to test everything pertaining to your health...the type and results of the test...and you keeping track of you seizures...the number of them, how the meds are effecting you..and so on.
First of all, I was not being diagnos correctly with my form of epilepsy. I had to go out of my home state to find a epileptic who was very determine to find out what type of seizures and the cause of my seizures. He diagnos them as intractable seizures after a number of test and after a number of different meds. Your doctor plays an important part of whether you are approved or not. Now after you connect, bring your lawyer in the picture requesting medical files from back in the day to now. Let your doctor know what you are attempting to do and get their point of view and what steps you could take to help you....single parent, lack of income to meet the needs of the family and so on.
ITS GOING TO BE A FIGHT...make sure you go in will to win the war. If you are not approve of disability you might can get SSI which will help. Better something than nothing. ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE!!!!
Has anyone on here got approved without having a EEG Test showing something abnormal? I was told by my Neurologist when I was 18 that most test are normal and means nothing.

Also has anyone got approved that had to prove or somehow show the frequency of their seizures and how did you do it? I can only prove mine by my journal and family member that can testify to only a few of the bad ones where I blackout and act stupid but but not the other ones I have all the time unless I am talking to them when I have them. It is also impossible for me to run to the ER 20 times a day.
Every EEG I had as a child to adult years showed nothing abnormal, which is why the doctors never could tell my mother what was happening. When I got sent to Vanderbilt at age 22 they did a 24 hour video EEG that showed what was happening. My neurologist wrote a letter saying I was having 4 different types of seizures and would some days have them by the hour. That's when I got my SSDI.

Rabern Michael Trammell said:
Has anyone on here got approved without having a EEG Test showing something abnormal? I was told by my Neurologist when I was 18 that most test are normal and means nothing.

Also has anyone got approved that had to prove or somehow show the frequency of their seizures and how did you do it? I can only prove mine by my journal and family member that can testify to only a few of the bad ones where I blackout and act stupid but but not the other ones I have all the time unless I am talking to them when I have them. It is also impossible for me to run to the ER 20 times a day.
Hey Esther. I had 24 hour ones when I was young but they never showed anything either. But as many as I have now it would probably be lighting up the test all day. My lawyer is in a big disability firm and they handle lots of seizure case and hasn't said anything about sending me for test. Now I am 2 weeks away from my hearing and I am trying make sure that my journal is good enough to prove the frequency of my seizures. I have told my doctor about the frequency in January and she probably listed it in my records. I also told 2 other doctors I went to over the pass 6 years but I don't know it they made notes or not on my records. The main thing I need to do at my hearing is be able to prove the number I of them I have which has to sound a little outrageous at the rate I have smaller ones and all (about 5 or 10 a day). I am just trying to figure what the the best way to do this is.
Luara,
My seizure videos were recorde by Standford University hospital in preperation for my brain surgery.
Thanks for asking,,, BUT YES, I'm waiting for my brain surgery in Stanford University hospital anytime now.

Lrjg said:
my space/my seizures, This is just a curiousity, but after reading your post I wondered about surgery. someone who has to be disabled by seizures tells me that they should go for surgery if possible. Did you ever look into the surgery? I know some are not candidates for it, but so many are. laura
good luck on your surgery I will be praying for you

www.myspace.com/myseizures said:
Luara,
My seizure videos were recorde by Standford University hospital in preperation for my brain surgery.
Thanks for asking,,, BUT YES, I'm waiting for my brain surgery in Stanford University hospital anytime now.

Lrjg said:
my space/my seizures, This is just a curiousity, but after reading your post I wondered about surgery. someone who has to be disabled by seizures tells me that they should go for surgery if possible. Did you ever look into the surgery? I know some are not candidates for it, but so many are. laura
when I talked to ssd they told me tha there wasn't any certain number of seizures that you had to have in order to get your disability

Rabern Michael Trammell said:
Hey Esther. I had 24 hour ones when I was young but they never showed anything either. But as many as I have now it would probably be lighting up the test all day. My lawyer is in a big disability firm and they handle lots of seizure case and hasn't said anything about sending me for test. Now I am 2 weeks away from my hearing and I am trying make sure that my journal is good enough to prove the frequency of my seizures. I have told my doctor about the frequency in January and she probably listed it in my records. I also told 2 other doctors I went to over the pass 6 years but I don't know it they made notes or not on my records. The main thing I need to do at my hearing is be able to prove the number I of them I have which has to sound a little outrageous at the rate I have smaller ones and all (about 5 or 10 a day). I am just trying to figure what the the best way to do this is.
Hey Tracy. I guess my lawyer is trying to use the "Meet the Listing" strategy which says you have to have more than 1 a week. Because the other strategy is to prove limited Function Capacity and they haven't done an evaluation for that. But you don't have a certain number to get approved but to meet the listing you do, which is what I was told lawyers try to do most of the time because it is easier.

Here is one of the best articles I have found to help me:
==================================================================================================
Social Security Benefits for Epilepsy

The Social Security Administration does provide disability benefits for epileptic patients, with certain restrictions:

* Most forms of epilepsy are non fatal and seizures are essentially rare occurrences, and the Social Security Administration does not see these minor epileptic events as deserving of receiving full disability benefits.
* However, if you are an epileptic who suffers from convulsive epilepsy with seizures occurring at least once per month that occur during the day and involve loss of consciousness, or that occur at night and interfere with your ability to work during the following day, and you have undergone at least three months of treatment with no effect on the epilepsy, you can apply for and receive SSDI disability.
* If you have non-convulsive epilepsy, and you have seizures with a frequency of more than once per week that result in either loss of consciousness (blackouts) or that interference with your daily activities and work schedule, and you have undergone the same treatment period of three months with no effect, then you will also qualify for SSDI disability under the Social Security Administration’s current regulations.

The key here is that you not only have epilepsy and that it is verifiable by a medical professional, but that you have tried treatment and found it to be ineffective, and that your seizures are happening frequently enough and with enough seriousness that you cannot work.
Getting Help

One important method for receiving disability benefits for epilepsy is to document your epileptic seizures or other events using a diary. By documenting the frequency of these events, you will be able to prove more effectively to the Social Security Administration. With the help of your doctor and a good disability attorney, you should have no problem receiving SSDI disability for your epileptic condition.
===================================================================================================

Reply to Discussion

RSS

Terms of Service Update 6/4/2012

We have updated our Terms of Service for eCommunities Groups.

© 2014   Created by EF Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Privacy Policy  |  Terms of Service